05 December 2007

How Glad I Am


















The first record I was ever conscious of...

A couple of months ago (but only a few weeks ago for me since I had to catch up on back-podcasts), NPR featured on All Things Considered their staff pick for a music segment. For this particular broadcast, they spoke with Roy Hurst, one of the producers. Hurst discussed the first record he was ever conscious of, which happens to be Nancy Wilson's How Glad I Am. He details his memories of the first time he heard the album. The images of him lying on his back, while a radio plays on a window sill are beautiful. While he tells the story, the song plays in the background.

Hurst does an excellent job of pinpointing the exact moment that I'm hoping to ascertain in my interviews, primarily when these moments come back to "haunt" you- whether driving in the car, having dinner at a restaurant, or walking around at the flea market. The memories come flooding back. You remember the first time and you remember every other time this song has impacted you. Hurst explores the circular nature of these memories, as the song comes back into his life numerous times. His memories of this album come full circle when he gets an opportunity to meet Nancy Wilson.

Listen to the story here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15369672&ft=1&f=1039

I will always remember that the first time I heard Nancy Wilson's How Glad I Am was the day I listened to Hurst explore his own memories of the first time he was conscious of this record.

No comments: