09 February 2008

Top Five Songs of January

I've already started the process of thinking about the 2008 Christmas mix, believe it or not. I generally begin putting some of my favorite songs in a folder in my iTunes in January, so as the end of the year approaches, I won't forget those hidden gems that get overshadowed by end of the year big albums.

I decided it might be a good idea to archive the songs and albums that I listened to each month, as well as to share this information with you. I will post at the end of the month the top five songs I have been listening to during the month.

So, without further ado....in no particular order...

1. Serious by Richard Hawley
















Hawley ended up on my 2007 mix by happenstance. I was looking for a song to fit in between part one and part two of the mix. Hawley's The Sea Calls seemed suitable given my location and the sentiment helped put the mix into context. It wasn't until after the holidays that I explored his latest release, Lady's Bridge. I think the first couple of weeks of the new year will always be this album.



2. Middle Distance Runner: Sea Wolf
















There was a similar experience with Sea Wolf, as Hawley...it wasn't until after the rush of the holidays that I was able to really explore this album. I like the fact that upon revisiting the album, there were others songs that appealed to me. I'm generally like this with an album, the obvious hits and singles overwhelm me. I immediately fall in love with them and it isn't until months pass and with continued listening or surprising shuffle listens, I discover that different songs move me...Middle Distance Runner is one of those songs.

3. The Logical Song: Supertramp


















Most of you are probably already familiar with this song. I revisted this song after driving one day and hearing a song that I thought was by Supertramp on the radio. I immediately came home to buy a few of their songs. I discovered not only a secret, hidden love for the band, but also that the song I heard on the radio was not among those I had purchased. Turns out- it was a Styx song. I'm glad I made the mistake though.



4. All I Want Is You: Barry Louis Polisar (Juno Soundtrack)



















This soundtrack (as previously mentioned) is one of my favorite albums so far this year. All of Kimya Dawson's music is of course fantastic, but this song initially stood out to me. An extremely sweet love song. "If you were an ocean, I'd learn to float."

5. The Rain Like A Gentle Dream: The Port Huron Statement













Many of you may be unfamiliar with PHS and that is a pity. I'm not sure if this album is being formally released, though it appears you can listen to it on their myspace page. Pressure them to release, pressure them to play a show in your town. You won't regret it.


Enjoy.

No comments: