06 May 2008

The Top Five of April...(barely)

If you can't tell from the top five for April, it has been an awkward month.

1. Temptation by Charlie Parker



















I may have mentioned in an earlier blog, but I have been watching the Ken Burns' documentary on the history of Jazz. I plan to write an entire blog about his series, but I have to acknowledge one of the folks I learned about while watching this 10-part series. Most of my knowledge about Charlie Parker simply came from the David Dondero song where he sings, "There was this line by Charlie Parker, probably worth remembering, "if you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn, chances are you'll never be re-born."" I knew right then. I like this Charlie Parker.

This song in particular evokes certain scenes in my mind. Scenes of a smoky ballroom, secret, coy glances across a room, shaky hands, and nervous laughs. I'm pretty sure that most jazz makes me think of these scenes. I'm also pretty sure that had this song been called "Family Dinner," it wouldn't have evoked the same feelings. There is a warmness to the sound of Parker playing. Something I have grown to love.


2. The Night They Drove Old Dixie down by The Band















I first became interested in The Band, not surprisingly from reading Down The Highway about Bob Dylan. I often make notes while reading a book. These notes generally inform my next few months of investigation. Notes about additional movies to watch or albums to purchase or books to read. The movie The Last Waltz was on this list.

Coincidentally, the night I watched this movie was the night before some friends from the band The Port Huron Statement would be playing their "last waltz", so to speak. I'll probably write about the film at another time (since I'm on summer break now, there will be plenty of time). Regardless, while watching this movie, I not only fell head over heels for Levon Helm- but I also realized that I had always loved The Band. I just hadn't been formally introduced to them. In the weeks that followed and after tracking down an album- I also fell head over heels for this particular song, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.

Now, I'm a huge fan of sing alongs. Not like children sing alongs. Rather, I'm imagining the crowded auditorium, where all members of the band and all other feasible bands in the room are crowded on stage, crowded around the microphone, singing, smiling, playing...and the audience is also singing, dancing, and smiling. I suppose I love the community feel of it. Experiencing it all together, in the moment. And I don't even like crowds. But there is something about this song that gives me the impression that it'd make a kick-ass sing-along, particularly at a karaoke bar. And there is even the line about, "and all the people were singing..."



3. Hot Legs by Rod Stewart



















I think as soon as I was able to talk, I knew of this Rod Stewart. My mom was a huge Rod fan. And all these years later, I find myself having pseudo-sober conversations about how underrated Rod Stewart is. I'm not sure this current generation (and I'm speaking about the folks I teach mostly- so between the age of 18 to 22...) "gets" Stewart. They only know him for his soft rock. They aren't familiar with The Faces and they certainly haven't picked up a copy of the Blondes Have More Fun album, which even made me blush upon listening.

That being said, I couldn't resist putting this picture of Stewart up on the site. Rod would be proud. I remember seeing Rod in concert (that is why I can call him Rod and you can't) with my mom. We had the worst seats, but it was an excellent performance. He kicked soccer balls out into the crowd. Despite his skills, there was no way a ball was going to make it to us. I've grown increasingly interested in researching the life course of musicians- why they make certain decisions at certain points in their career..and I think someone like Rod Stewart would be fascinating to use as a case study. Including his decision to wear those tight pants.


4. Nashville Moon by Magnolia Electric Co.


















I remember the first time I ever played Jason Molina for my mom. I played her the album from Songs: Ohia entitled The Lioness. I use to play this album over and over again in the kitchen, where my computer and record player were set up. My mom and I would sit in there talking, drinking coffee, and preparing dinner to the soundtrack of the song, "Baby Take a Look." And it was then and there she fell in love. Her love of Molina even inspired a trip to New York for CMJ where he was performing. A side note: It was also during this trip that my mother finally had the opportunity to meet Conor Oberst from Bright Eyes. Oh, it opened up a whole new world for her.

I continued to follow Molina's career. And he came back into my life in a very significant way. Discovering that he was playing a show right outside of Charleston, South Carolina meant I'd get the chance to see him perform again. This trip ended up turning into an opportunity to also interview Ben Bridwell of Band of Horses for the book. So, my memories of Molina have altered and changed- it isn't just my mother and CMJ, now there is the Village Tavern with Ben, his dad and the rest of the horses. There is even a vague memory of Molina sitting next to me on a couch, wearing a hat that made him look very Paul Simon circa 1975 (Still Crazy After All These Years).

Of course this song feels even more significant, particularly because of the subject, title...And I feel like I wouldn't be doing you justice, if I didn't quote some of the lyrics...

"How far is that Nashville moon
That depends
Where did she leave you
And how many miles 'til my mistakes catch up
That depends
Which ones you're counting
And that depends
What you're forgetting again
Does it matter whose side I'm on
Or does that depend"



5. Try Again by Big Star



















I'll be honest. I had a hard time this month. These first four weren't difficult, but I had no idea what song should take the last slot. And I'm still not sure I've made the right choice- but one afternoon driving home, I put the Ipod on shuffle- this song came up. It spoke to me. I'm not exactly sure why. Perhaps there is something about the sentiment of not only being hurt over and over again, but the idea of trying again. Persistence.

No comments: