01 July 2008

Cassette From My Ex

I recently read about a new site called Cassette From My Ex, which was created by Jason Bitner. Bitner is also responsible for helping create FOUND Magazine, as well as is the editor of DIRTY FOUND and FOUND Polaroid Book. The idea behind this new site is to share the stories of soundtracks from previous love affairs in your life. Various individuals share a mix tape they received, as well as the memory that tells the story of this short or obsessive or awkward love story. Not surprisingly, I adore this site.

There are posts by the team that works on the site (including Bitner), but also stories contributed by folks, such as: David Nadelberg of MORTIFIED and Claire Heitlinger who works with the series 33 1/3.

Each post features the story of the relationship/lust/obsession, as well as features the listing of all songs from the magical soundtrack. The entire tape is also available for your listening pleasure. The stories are fantastic to read. They are sweet, embarrassing at times, and full of the crazy nostalgia that I love. I particularly enjoy the stories where the recipient of the mix reconnects years later with the creator and is able to thank them for its significance in their life.

Since I've been cleaning out the attic of my parent's house (containing approximately 20 years of memories), I've come across plenty of my own old mix tapes I've received over the years. I've end found mix tapes created, but never given to intended recipient. I'm happy to know that I am not the only person refusing to throw away these tapes. I am planning to go through my old tapes to find an appropriate one to submit to the site, but also to post for this blog. I've secretly wanted to go through all my old mix tapes and re-create them on my computer- just to keep them for the reminiscing value.

Now, my fear is that I'll find a posting on this site where a random individual from my past comes across a mix tape I made and tells the horrifying story of my attempt to communicate my crush through the lyrics of Sinead O'Connor and Trixter.

No comments: