26 October 2009

My name is not Justin Vernon and my thesis is not Bon Iver.






One awkward fall break.


While it is true that I took a page from Justin Vernon's book when I decided to hole up in a cabin for most of my fall break to produce what I hoped would be similar to the Bon Iver album, I have a feeling that my "cabin" experience was a little different from Vernon's. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure that NPR will never discuss my thesis.

I took three nights and four days to stay in a Bed and Breakfast in Monterey, Tennessee. While I had imagined a secluded cabin all to myself, I also find myself nervous about a complete disconnect from civilization (and honestly, the Blair Witch Project has left some lasting images in my mind for way too long). So I opted for a B&B, where I would be served breakfast in the morning- and I could trust that there was someone being paid to be sure that I had a pleasant experience. Mike, he was.

Apparently, these types of places typically serve the needs of a limited group of people- those getting married, those celebrating their anniversaries, or those having a romantic weekend away. Yes, I was very out of place. It was also pleasant to be constantly reminded that I was not in fact there for the same reasons. Why a constant reminder?

During my third day at the Inn, I was informed that there was limited space in the dining room- and I would need to sit with another couple for breakfast. I was also informed that one couple had already denied me- they didn't want to share their anniversary breakfast with me. Those cruel, cruel people. I did get the opportunity instead to meet some lovely couples during my last two mornings at the Inn. But that's the thing when you stay at a place like this- investment, personal investment in other people.

I did have a lovely time. I was successful in finishing a first draft of my thesis, which will now be subjected to the harsh eye of Tepper- but nonetheless, it was useful way to spend my fall break. And restful in a way.

After returning to the world of the living, I discovered an old friend (David Dondero) would be in town performing at a house party in Nashville. I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate than good friends and good music- and a house party. And so we did. While the show was scheduled to begin at 4pm, we were informed upon preparing for the party (read: imbibing) that it would actually begin closer to 8 or 9pm. Needless to say, it was a long night. Awkward and spectacular.

I could summarize quickly by saying that I tormented young hip kids for several hours while stealing away their beer...I watched a very, talented musician get cheated out of his money for the night...and I saw a dear friend of mine pass out in my chair. Regardless, enjoy some of the photos from the trip... and enjoy a short video that we took at the show.

I've mentioned before, but if you haven't familiarized yourself with the work of David Dondero- you should. And you should do it now.

From South of the South Video

No comments: