25 February 2010

I called this number three times already today.



















"I called this number three times already today, but I got scared, I put it back in place, I put my phone back in place. I still don't know if I should have called up. Look, just tell me why don't you if I'm out of place. 'Cause here's your chance to make me feel awkward and wish that I had never called up this place."

-Modern Lovers






After much deliberation, I can't quite pin down exactly which song I first heard by the Modern Lovers. I know it must have been 1996. I remember listening to it in my dorm room. I remember hearing a band cover "Roadrunner" at a high school in Boone, North Carolina. I remember thinking I had called a number three times and most certainly felt awkward about it.

The first time I saw Jonathan Richman play was in Chapel Hill at Cats Cradle. It was packed. It must have been right after the movie, Something About Mary- and all the college kids came to see that weird fella that was singing in the tree. It was fantastic.

That being said, it was a true joy to have the opportunity to see him in Nashville on Thursday night. Going to the show reinforced what I already suspected- I have an entirely skewed view about music. Obviously, I interpret through my own lens, but I thought Richman playing at 5 Spot in Nashville, a very small club, would mean I'd need to arrive early and would potentially have to wait in line. Not the case. I can't say that I was displeased, but there is something odd to me about the fact that I have trouble navigating the landscape of 5 Spot on Soul Night (when two fellas with computers play Motown), but not on the night when Jonathan Richman played. I digress. And I refuse to get into a "these kids these days" sort of refrain.

I suppose I place Jonathan Richman in my own personal canon. He ranks pretty high on my list of troubadours, particularly troubadours that make me feel star struck. So, yes, while I had hoped that more folks would be there to support him, I was also pleased that I actually had the opportunity to hear and see him without all the distraction of too many East Nashville-ites.

It was a wonderful show. While I had hoped I might have the opportunity to hear Richman belt out some of my old favorites, I was mesmerized by him. He was odd. He was funny. He was a great dancer. He was endearing.



By the end of the show, Richman was out on the floor talking to his audience. And it crossed my mind that I should thank him for the performance. I'm usually not keen on doing this, because well, I mean, I can only imagine how many times hearing "Great show" one person can take. But then I thought, "Fuck, Jonathan Richman is a few feet away from me. I should at least talk to him." And then, Becky and Brian cheered me on.

Before I knew it, I was grabbing a business card out of my wallet and walking towards him. I know, I know...but I've learned the habit of handing out my fancy Vanderbilt cards to anyone available and willing after my most recent trip to Puerto Rico. So, I did it. I thanked him for the show. I told him about the blog. I told him about the book project of music and memory. And almost as if I had planned it, I told him I'd love to interview him for it. And it wasn't a lie. He was on my original list of potential interviewees.

I think I expected, as most folks do, he would take the card quickly and the interaction would be over. Instead, he told me he would love to talk to me about the book and asked me if I could write something on the front of the card to remind him about the book idea. Jeez, as if I wasn't already freaked out enough shaking his hand and talking to him. With shaky hands (and thanks to Becky and Brian for the pen), I wrote the information down and returned the card to him.

While I recognize realistically, this "interview" may or may not take place. I found myself experiencing sheer joy in having the opportunity to meet him personally.

It was a lovely night. And I'll always remember dancing with Becky atop chairs in the back of the 5 Spot.

Enjoy the videos. I think one of the things I'd admire the most about Richman is that he sang about half of his songs in either Spanish or French. He commented they just made more sense that way....and I agree.




1 comment:

Jose Rizal said...

Been following your blog. Totally agree w/ you abt music & memory. Like how your different insights are threaded together...