19 September 2012

This, I told her, is how I feel.


"Ana Iris once asked me if I loved him and I told her about the lights in my old home in the capital, how they flickered and you never knew if they would go out or not. You put down your things and you waited and couldn't do anything really until the lights decided. This, I told her, is how I feel."

-Junot Diaz from This Is How You Lose Her


Since I've been mostly posting these on FacialWorld, there are tons of great interviews and articles with Diaz about his latest book. Check it out.

Two items on NPR worth checking out...

Fidelity in Fiction: Junot Diaz Deconstructs A Cheater

And particularly one of my favorites is when Diaz guest DJs with Jasmine and Jose on Alt.Latino on NPR, which you can find here...

Guest DJ Pulitzer Price Winning Author Junot Diaz on AltLatino


Lastly, this is a great interview, where Diaz is less constrained by censors, so you get a better feel for him, as a person. Not to mention, I think he gives some great advice for young writers, but in general for people struggling through the beginning of a career or anything really.

Barhopping with Pulitzer Prize Winner Junot Diaz

"What can I do?" Díaz asks, smiling, his palms turned up and out. "What can I do? You wanna fuckin' work faster. No matter what you say, there's a part of you that thinks you're doing something wrong, that says, "It really shouldn't take this long." I live under so much inside pressure — it's like being hit by an 80-foot wave, repeatedly."

No comments: