21 May 2013

Song of the Day, Day 21. Daughter: Youth.

Song of the Day, Day 21. Daughter: Youth.

 We are the reckless. We are the wild youth.

 Yeah, okay, some I'm not really allowed to consider myself as part of the "wild youth" anymore, am I? At least I can't really sell my wildness, since I woke up this morning at 5:15am. Regardless, there is something that still compels me about the idea of the wild youth. Maybe it was because I've been there. Maybe it is because I am nostalgic for those times that seemed more carefree and footloose (yeah, like the movie when they throw the confetti up in the air and cut a rug). For some reason, the song reminded me of one of the best compliments I have ever received in my life. One of my oldest friends, Prabir, said to me (after a particularly wild night out on the town when his band played in town), "You have more life in your little pinky finger than most people have in their entire bodies." Now, I could have read this as what it probably really means, that I'm absolutely insane and hysterically weird at times. But I think that what Prabir meant was that I don't tend to do things halfhearted. Nope, I dive in head first to everything. As some of you know, this has not always been so very good for me, but when I listen to a song like this, I can now see all of it as worth the journey. In that, I can remember being paralyzed by that scene in the movie Magnolia when the old dying man says, "Regrets. These fucking regrets." I never wanted to have regrets. And I can honestly say (at least at this point), I don't. I could launch into some sort of diatribe about living life to its fullest and embracing each day. But I won't. Because I might regret it.

 Shadows settle on the place, that you left Our minds are troubled by the emptiness Destroy the middle, it's a waste of time From the perfect start to the finish line And if you're still breathing, you're the lucky ones 'Cause most of us are heaving through corrupted lungs Setting fire to our insides for fun Collecting names of the lovers that went wrong The lovers that went wrong We are the reckless We are the wild youth Chasing visions of our futures One day we'll reveal the truth That one will die before he gets there And if you're still bleeding, you're the lucky ones 'Cause most of our feelings, they are dead and they are gone We're setting fire to our insides for fun Collecting pictures from the flood that wrecked our home It was a flood that wrecked this And you caused it And you caused it And you caused it Well I've lost it all, I'm just a silhouette. A lifeless face that you'll soon forget My eyes are damp from the words you left Ringing in my head, when you broke my chest Ringing in my head, when you broke my chest And if you're in love, then you are the lucky one 'Cause most of us are bitter over someone Setting fire to our insides for fun To distract our hearts from ever missing them But I'm forever missing him And you caused it.

No comments: