08 May 2013

Song of the Day: May 03-07, 2013, Days 03-07


Day 03 of the Song-of-the-Day/May yesterday turned out to be a nightmare…yes, I had to spend one night without the internet. Now, don’t get me wrong, every so often, I like to go without access to the interwebs. You know, to go off the grid, to take a break from the numerous feeds of information I track multiple times throughout the day. This is, of course, by choice. Therefore, yesterday, after a 9 hour day of ethical research training, the only thing I wanted to do when I arrived home was to catch up on my Facebook, Instagram, and Tumblr feeds, then put on name-of-my-latest-guilty-pleasure-television-show, pop some popcorn and bliss out. But then, and only then, the nightmare began…

Unplug. Restart. Unplug. Restart. Phone the cable company. Finally, the verdict was that I needed a new modem. What?!? A technician can’t get out until Tuesday? How dare you expect me to go from Friday to Tuesday without the interwebs? Who does that? Luckily, a fiend offered to drive me over to the service center this morning to swap out the modem (however, this has not fixed the problem, thus far).

I found myself flipping through the limited basic cable on my television. I hadn’t watched television in I can’t remember how long…and I can report, commercials still annoy me. After several rounds of flipping, I watched a replay from a Braves baseball game. Or at least I thought it was simply a replay on a sports news channel. Then I realized, this mystery channel was airing the entire game and I caught it at the 8th inning. Wait, this was Fox Sports South channel. How as I accessing only one premium channel out of all the channels? I don’t even have TBS! What cable gods decided to reward me for my lack of internet access? This random gift from the universe made my night last night…and incidentally, my day today, since the modem does not appear to be working either.

And thus, for May 3rd to May 7th, there is no song of the day, but rather, the imagined sound of a baseball game.

No comments: