01 May 2013

Song of the Day: Waxahatchee: Bathtub, May 01, 2013



A note about Song-of-the-Day for May:
After many wonderful suggestions— planting/picking flowers, writing, cooking, I have decided to combine music and writing as an incentive to find the time this month to revisit my blog about music and memory:www.musicismemory.com
Thus, each day this month, I intend to post a song of the day. What classifies as a song of the day? Well, how should I know? There are no parameters, except to post it with a short blurb about why or what or something to that extent. So there you have it. Hopefully at the end of this month, I shall have a new soundtrack of music that doesn’t bore me, like most music these days. 

Waxahatchee: Bathtub, May 01, 2013
I adore Waxahatchee. That being said, I know absolutely nothing about the band. Nothing. Perhaps I should remedy that since I’m choosing it as song of the day. But honestly, I chose it because one of my bestest and oldest friends, Matt Tomich, sent it to me yesterday via Facebook with a quick note that read, “I thought you’d love this.” 
Matt has played an incredibly interesting role in my life of music. I met him many, many, many years ago when the internet was just starting (yes, it was the beginning of all time for some). We met because I joined a fan list serv for the band The Replacements that he ran. We began emailing back and forth, quite regularly. When Matt moved from Omaha, Nebraska to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, he stopped to visit me at school in Asheville, North Carolina. I arrived back in town early that evening to find a note on my door that Matt was waiting for me in my friend’s room. I forgot Matt was passing through that day. Did I also mention this was before cellular telephones (yes, I wrote out cellular just to make myself sound super duper old)? 
That night, we sat up talking about music and our lives and the world. Before he left the next day to continue his journey to his new destination, he handed me a mix tape he made. Yes, yes, it was a real cassette tape. To this day, it stands out as the best mix tape I have ever received. I listened to it non-stop, not just for months, but years. I suppose that is the mark of an excellent mix, not creating a playlist of songs you like to demonstrate your good taste to others, but rather to create a playlist of songs that you think the other person will like, based on their taste. Wait, isn’t that the end of the book/film High Fidelity? Even though Matt and I are distanced by loads and loads of waves and wires, even after all of this time, he still knows me well enough to hear this song and send it to me. One day, my dear, I’ll make it to Malta for a visit. 

No comments: