01 July 2013

Day 01. Infinite Jest.

01 July 2013.

The first day of July. Time for a new monthly project.

This month, given my trip to Australia for half of July to present my research at the International Sociological Association's PhD Laboratory in Sydney, I decided to choose a monthly project that enables mobility. As some of you are aware, I purchased David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest a few months ago. Since, the large book has occupied space on my bedside table for months, I decided that the monthly project for July should be to conquer the novel. In addition, since the book is so huge (and not necessarily the best to pack for a trip to Australia), I've decided to schedule myself two books this month. Infinite Jest in the days of the month I'm in Nashville. And then, Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude for the days I'm in Sydney. I've been planning to read One Hundred Years for a couple of years now...and it relates to my research on the University of Puerto Rico. Thus, it is my intention to conquer both of these novels during the month of July.

As means of accountability and documentation, I plan to post a quote of the day from my reading.

Day 01.

"These worst mornings with cold floors and hot windows and merciless light-- the soul's uncertainty that the day will have to be not traversed but sort of climbed, vertically, and then that going to sleep again at the end of it will be like falling, again, off something tall and sheer" (pg. 46).

-David Foster Wallace

No comments: