10 June 2014

June 9. Song of the Day. The Moon Song: Karen O


June 9. Song of the Day. The Moon Song: Karen O


I knew from the first moment I saw a trailer for the film Her that I would absolutely adore it. As suspected, I fell in love with the film. I watched it several times. And now, I'm anxiously awaiting my copy on DVD, so I can watch it over and over again.

One of the reasons I love the film so is because the relationship that develops between Theodore and Samantha reminds me of a long distance relationship. More so, the ways in which technology plays a role in relationship complicated by distance. When trying to maintain intimacy with a partner across the distance, the phone and computer take on a different relevance in your day-to-day life as you exchange hundreds of texts through out the day, schedule time to video chat, and email back and forth. While you know there is another person on the other side of the line, you spend more time in an intimate relationship with your telephone and computer than anyone else. And that is the part that really resonated with me about the relationship in the film.

There are dozens of reasons I love this film including the familiarity of the character of Theodore, who reminds me of one of my long distance partners, and the fragility of human emotion, which reminds all of us how we should seek out as much joy as possible in the time we are here.

And for what it is worth, every single time I hear this song from the film, all those emotions and memories come flooding to the surface.


No comments: