10 January 2008

In 17 hours with Chuck Klosterman



















There have been very few times in my life that I have picked up a book and read it from cover to cover within the span of 24 hours. I recently received Chuck Klosterman's Killing Yourself To Live: 85% Of A True Story as a gift. Klosterman's books have always intrigued me. I wasn't sure why. I knew nothing about him, but there was something about the covers and titles that made me intrigued. I always picked them up at the bookstore and contemplated a purchase. I still hesitated in buying one. I think I had the false impression that the books would be less about human emotion as connected to music, but more about the rock n' roll lifestyle. I was thankfully wrong.

Last night around 11:30pm, after finishing Woody Allen's Mere Anarchy, I picked up Klosterman's book. I read until I was barely able to keep my eyes open and when I awoke a mere 7 hours later, the first thing I wanted to do was finish reading the book. So, I did. Within 17 hours, I had read the entire book. Not only did it give me some great ideas about music and memory, but it overwhelmed me with the sense that I should contact Klosterman for an interview. And that is exactly what I plan to do...so I'll reserve writing any more "praise" of the book to avoid appearing as if I wrote this post only to encourage an interview.

No comments: