09 January 2008

Popular Songs Series on Ovation








Having access to hundreds (if not thousands) of cable channels can make any solid decision about what to watch any given evening very difficult. I often feel inundated with choices and settle on some type of bad show on a primetime channel. Luckily one night, finding nothing but shows about dancing stars and top models on the tube, I flipped through those nebulous lost channels in the 100's. I happened upon the Ovation channel. Ovation is an excellent channel and if you are not personally acquainted, I would suggest it. Ovation offers programming about performance, film, art, and film. You can watch an hour about the artist Christo and his work in Paris. You can catch films like Kurosawa's film Ikiru. I'm honestly surprised that I ever venture away from this channel.

Last week, I was pleasantly surprised to find a series on music dubbed Popular Song: The Road to Rock n Roll. The series, which was broadcast for almost two straight days, featured the story of the most influential songs for the past 100 years. Not only did they discuss the collusion between gospel, R&B, and rock music, but they also discussed music in the 1960s and 1970s. I luckily taped most of the series for future reference. Not only does the series discuss the social context of the music and songs, but also has the musicians and others discussing the songs.

http://www.ovationtv.com/

No comments: