31 March 2008

Top Five Songs of March...

Here are my top five songs of March. To be honest, I could have picked at least a couple of songs by each artist, but I narrowed as much as possible. I thought about listing my top five Bob Dylan songs, as I'm currently caught in the middle of a Bob Dylan obsession, but thought it might be too narrow of a list. So here goes...

1. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right- Bob Dylan


















I spent most of last weekend in my truck driving, which allowed me to spend some time with the dozen or so Dylan albums I recently picked up from the public library (not that I kept them on my computer!) After a few hours, I created my own Dylan playlist...and I found myself coming back to this song over and over again. When I was trying to choose just one song for my top five for this month, it was essentially a tie between this and "Baby, Let Me Follow You Down." It was a narrow margin.

"Where I'm bound, I can't tell
But goodbye's too good a word, gal
So I'll just say fare thee well
I ain't sayin' you treated me unkind
You could have done better but I don't mind
You just kinda wasted my precious time
But don't think twice, it's all right"



2. Loose Change- The Morning Benders














I honestly know absolutely nothing about The Morning Benders. I know that there are certain weeks that Tim bombards me with new music. Over the course of two days, I swear I listened to 10 new albums. When I was finished, I went back to give a re-listen...and the first one I looked for was The Morning Benders. It, obviously, reminds me of The Strokes (and some other influences too, but I can't put my finger on it...) at times. I've noticed a trend with my music for March...it is mostly more upbeat music. I blame Spring.



3. We Get On- Kate Nash


















My mother introduced me to Kate Nash. Yes, thanks for asking, my mother is very cool. Regardless, not that I am a music snob, but I'm usually hesitant when someone hands me a copy of their favorite new music. Trust me, I realize this is completely contrary to my love of making mixes for people. Upon my introduction to Kate Nash, my mother showed me one of her videos on youtube. I thought she reminded me of a British Ani Difranco, but without as much anger, acoustic guitar, or growling sounds.

Taking my trip to Nashville, I thought (selflessly) I'll give this album a listen. I immediately fell in love with a handful of her songs. This song, "We Get On" in particular seems to perfectly speak to the experience of liking someone, not knowing if they like you, being nervous around them, trying to run into them, but then unfortuantely seeing them "digging" someone else.

One of the other interesting things about Kate Nash is how the handful of men that I have asked about her music- do not seem to like her. I don't think it is a categorical dislike, but they just don't get it. Perhaps she seems too honest, too angry...I don't quite know. Maybe it just seems non-applicable to men. Here is a video of her song "Foundations"...see, I told you I had a hard time picking this month.






4. Hotel Room in Casablanca- Ezra Furman and The Harpoons


















I've mentioned before, but I adore when I randomly come in contact with a new musical artist. A few weeks ago, I attended a show at North Myrtle Beach's finest rock clubs, The Pirates Cove. I was planning to see a band called Magnolia Network, which are worthy of their own entry...I just don't own anything yet. Regardless, there is a lack of shows in this area and I think we've seen Magnolia Network at least 5 times in the last year. They are worth though. The plan for the evening of the latest show was to watch them, then leave when the second band played, who were Ezra Furman and The Harpoons.

A mere 3 minutes into their set, I knew this was impossible. Tim and Jeremy (my co-conspirators for the evening) and I sat at the bar passing names of influences back and forth. Lou Reed, Bob Dylan, Violent Femmes, Conor Oberst, Jonathan Richman...the rest are foggy. It was one of those experiences where I couldn't stop my foot from tapping and wanting to just get up in dance. I was a bit afraid that the fella in the bar from 38 Special would try to dance with me, so I stayed put.

In "Hotel Room in Casablanca," my heart drops when he sings "I am hiding in your bedroom, I am 17 years old..." and then later returns to sing, "I am hiding in your bedroom, I am 48 years old..." I'm not sure what it is, but something about it hits me in the gut. I almost put the song "I Wanna Be Ignored" up which can be found on the link for the band above.






5. See You Around- Vic Chesnutt
















I have loved Vic Chesnutt for a long time. When I heard him belt out "Little Vacation." which was placed as the first song on an old mix tape from a friend...I knew that Chesnutt and I would be life long pals. I saw Chesnutt years ago at The Evening Muse in Charlotte. It was an incredible show. I think my eyes may have teared up a few times. I don't know what it is about this song in particular that has caught my attention, but out of the blue...it resonated.

"Well I'm sorry for my lack of communication, but as I'm staring out of this 5th floor window, it seems like the least amount of communication the better...I will see you around...I'll save us both the hassle and leave and hang out all night in the familiar flourescent light of Dunkin' Donuts, Cause I ain't got time for the niceties or rather I was never fond of the niceties..."

No comments: