17 April 2008

Songs About Myrtle Beach













I have a travel guide about music and the United States. The travel guide informs you about where to find cool music venues, record stores, and historical music sites in each state. At the beginning of each chapter, there are a list of songs for the particular states. I always assumed these songs were listed so you could make a proper mix tape as you traveled the entire United States. Wait, perhaps that was just my plan.

There are of course any number of songs about a particular state or destination that could quickly be called to mind. I fell in love with Band of Horses, due to their song called St. Augustine. Turns out that a radio station in Minnesota did something very similar to this back in 2005, you can find the link here. This can help for any summer road trips you have planned.

Regardless, I find myself drawn to music about a particular location- especially when I live there. Imagine my delight when I came across Sunny Ledfurd's song Myrtle Beach. And I'll be honest, when people ask me about what it is like living in this spectacular location. I'm not going to answer anymore. I'm simply going to point them to this song. This is all you need to know. You can find this song on Sunny Ledfurd's myspace page, which I have listed below. I must warn you, the song isn't the "clean" version- so plug in those headphones before you isolate yourself from the rest of the office. That being said, a clean version of this wouldn't be Myrtle Beach. Not at all.

Sunny Ledfurd's Myspace Page

And if that wasn't enough, I listened to Sunny Ledfurd's song Red Bull and Vodka, which not only points out the merits of living in Myrtle Beach, as opposed to Los Angeles- but also speaks about a bar near the university in Charlotte called Tipsey's. Tipsey's use to be on of my favorite destinations in Charlotte. I wouldn't have survived graduate school without the aid of Tipsey's. Though the video comes dangerously close to a "girls gone wild video"...you'll get the point.

No comments: