18 August 2009

Just the music.












I have this thing about listening to new music. People send me a mix or a new album and I tend to comment, "I need a good road trip to really engage with the music." Even when I make inappropriate late night iTunes purchases, I generally need some time on the road (read: long road trips) to feel like I've fully engaged with the album as a whole.

The other night (thanks to Jenn's post about listening to vinyl), I decided to spend some time with my music collection. I put an album on and I simply sat in my latest furniture purchase (a red swivel Lazyboy, which has now been claimed by a cat) and listened. I just listened.

It was then I realized how few and far between I just sit and listen to music. I feel like I use to do this all the time, but now I listen to music while I'm writing, driving, working. It becomes background, as opposed to front and center. It felt nice to just dedicate time to listening, really listening.

So, here is my suggestion- find one night that you can just sit and listen to albums or mp3s- but just pull out some music and listen to it. I swear it feels different. And I miss it.

Perhaps I should steal my new chair from Sabine (the cat) and move it next to the record player.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is always exactly the picture I have in my head when I really try to listen to music, John Cusack at the end of High Fidelity with Stevie Wonder playing.