11 July 2011

Fevers and Shaky Hands (in the comfort of friends)...Week 1


















Yes, the title of this blog is taken from Bright Eyes' album Fevers and Mirrors...because it worked and resonated. Tomorrow, I start my second out of six weeks on the island for my summer research. Since I don't pretend to make this blog about my work (nor do I care too)...I'm mostly posting stories and pictures from my free time on the island.

As many of you may know, the month of June was full of highs and lows...drastically high and low. And some of it followed me into the month of July. The details are unnecessary, but besides barely making it to the island-- after almost missing my flights, yes, both of them-- I knew that I needed to be here, not there. But at first I didn't quite feel that way, it took almost a week for me to adapt, to recoup, to heal, to feel like myself again. And now I can feel the island on my skin. I can hear it when I sleep soundly (finally, again) through the night. I can smell it when I walk through the streets, navigating my way in unfamiliar places. Seven days, it took me to come back. But I finally feel like I'm really back at home...and I'm happy to say it.

It took the love and kindness of those around me, for sure. Almost immediately upon arrival, I let myself open up to those around me-- particularly, Magaly and Jorell. Instead of pretending as if everything was going well for me, I let them in. And from that moment on, they've done nothing but give me the love and support that I've needed. When necessary, they left me to my own devices. Other times, they convinced me to go out and remember what I love so much about this place. In other words, they were perfect and it reminds me of why I love them so.

So, what? What the hell? (I'm pretty sure when I was recounting the details of my first "real" night of sleep in a week to Magaly tonight, Jorell was saying this in Spanish to me)

Well, here you go folks...some top events from the last week...
(in the vein of my posts from last summer)

1. The Carlos airport pick-up experience. We drove to PiƱones from the airport. I had my first piragua. When Carlos asked what flavor, I said any. The fella making them said something like, "I'll make her the anise one because it is good for the heart." Wow. I'm immediately blown away by the significance of this statement. I also had my first meat on the island, as we shared bacalaito and alcapurrias. Then we made our way to our favorite "airport pick-up/drop-off" beach for a little drinking, talking, and baptism. Carlos wasn't feeling so great that day, so we had a short time. But as I walked to the ocean, I promised to let the past month wash over me.

2. My arrival at the apartment of Magaly, Jorell, and Enrique. We talked about Jorell's time in Bloomington-- complete with some literature about how to combat sexism and homophobia (as you will see pictured). And that night, I confessed all to Magaly and Jorell.

3. Taking a cold shower, while the three roommates serenaded me as they practiced karaoke tunes before we headed out for an evening at El Local.

4. Karaoke Night at El Local. There was laughter, singing, and dancing. There was even the posting of a Stay Sick sticker. One of my favorite pictures so far from the trip is the picture from the karaoke of This Charming Man, where you can see the silhouette of the roomies belting out the tune.

5. The beautiful, beautiful ocean.

6. My first visit to Bebo's Cafe with Magaly, Jorell, and our roomie from last summer, M-m-m-Mario. It was so wonderful to catch up with an old friend-- and to have carne fritas at Bebo's.

7. The dinner Enrique prepared us-- I had my first piece of beef-- churrasco with arroz y gandules. It was fantastic. And the beginning of the masked dinners.

8. The bobcat....and its name.

9. Setting up my desk in my room and feeling like working, again. Finally.

10. Getting the opportunity to attend Ricardo Alegria's wake in Old San Juan. While it was strange (the dead body part and my limited knowledge of his work), I was glad to be present and pay tribute to a pioneer of Puerto Rican culture.

11. The longest experience ever at the K-mart copy center with Jorell. While I thought I might pass out, the hilarity of the day will never be forgotten. Plus, getting to see Jorell with his printed Master's Thesis was quite fantastic.

12. Un Final Fatal show at Executive Manolo with Eggie, Jorell, and Enrique.

13. Nellylandia with Eggie...putting up another Stay Stick sticker and making new friends- Marisol!

14. Sunday brunch of Huevos Rancheros with the family.

15. A day trip to Aguadilla....if for nothing else other than getting to try relleno de papa, which apparently took me way too long to eat...and subjected me to many future jokes about eating like a bird.

16. The rain that resulted in going to El Platanal with Enrique and Jorell-- after subtle convincing, "Come on Katherine, they have Medalla!" and eating one of the greatest sandwiches ever (as pictured). Pork shoulder on two platanos with two Medallas on the side.

17. And always, sitting with the family in the living room. Talking, laughing, singing, and sometimes dancing.


So, there you have it. A wonderful first week. A week that led me back. I'm so fortunate to have these gracious friends. You just have no idea.

Tomorrow, I have my first interview for the summer. See you next week, folks.

So, here are the pictures:

PuertoRicoSummer Week 1


And here is a video....

The first one is from the first karaoke night at El Local (which promises to be this summer's Manic Mondays)


I intended to post a video of the delightful Un Final Fatal...but after two failed attempts at uploading. I'm giving up for now.

Chau, mis amigos.

No comments: