02 June 2014

Day 1. Song of the Day. The Sounds of a Baseball Game.


 Day 1. Song of the Day. The Sounds of a Baseball Game.

Every year when April rolls around, Michelle and I gleefully head out to the opening game for the Nashville Sounds. Last year, we made it to about 20 games for the season. This year, we've already been to 10 games. I suppose, we might be preparing for my eventual departure from a town where minor league baseball is played. 

At each game, I sit back and take in the scenery. I've likely said it before on this blog, but to me, my love of baseball has always been about the aesthetics-- the sights, sounds, and smells. Well, not always the smells, last Thirsty Thursday, we abstained from drinking and the smells were not all that great. 

While I'll always miss the sights and smells, I realize what I'll miss the most are the sounds. The sounds of a ballpark are like a fingerprint, specific to that one place. No other place in the world will ever sound like those few years of countless days and evenings watching our boys play. And in some ways, these sounds will cease to exist as the acoustics inevitably change next year with a new stadium. 

And so here's to the people who make the sounds of the game so very memorable to me. Cheers to Charles (the cold beeeyah guy), the angry funnel cake lady, Silent Bob's unenthusiastic pleas to sell you peanuts, and all the vendors whose voices fill the space of those memories. Cheers to the announcers and Doogie. Cheers to the fans. Cheers to those mysterious woo-girls. Cheers to the umpires. Cheers to the Nashville Sounds and all the visiting teams. It is this cacophony of noises that I will miss dearly. It is the end of an era, for sure. 

For an article in the New York Times about the sounds of a baseball game,  A Summer Symphony.




No comments: