03 June 2014

Day 2. Song of the Day. Kerosene: Miranda Lambert


Day 2. Song of the Day. Kerosene: Miranda Lambert

A couple of years ago, one of my closest friends, Art, and I were waltzing around downtown on our way home from the schoolhouse looking for somewhere to have cheap drinks and conversation. See, we were both downtown because neither one of us had a car at the time and the central bus station is located downtown. So, it made for a rather convenient place for the both of us to spend time together before departing to our respective homes.

For those of you familiar with downtown Nashville, you know at first glance, there appear to be very few places to grab a cheap drink that isn't overflowing with tourists. As we walked about, we came across a bar called Cowboy Kewl. We laughed about the spelling, then jokingly walked into their doors. As soon as we stepped inside, we knew we had found our place. It was perfect. There was a stench of stale beer and cigarettes. Or, in other words, it was perfect.  To add fuel to the fire, there was a jukebox with surprisingly a great selection.

During the spring and summer of 2012, Art and I spent many afternoons and evenings at the Kewl, as we came to call it. We came to know JD, the bartender at the time, and the owner, Tim. So many afternoons, we'd pour into their door, belly up to the bar, and drink cheap beer until the last buses left from downtown. In some ways, JD and Tim helped me while I struggled through the passing of my grandmother, as they always asked for updates and hugged me when I would break down into tears.

When we were lucky, we would convince some of our other friends to join us. I'm not quite sure everyone else loved the Kewl as much as Art and I did. And so, when Michelle or Andrea would join me, I'd often try to find something on the jukebox that I know they'd like. Hence, Miranda Lambert's song Kerosene.

My relationship with country music has been complex. I had always been familiar with old country. You know, the kind that it is technically okay to like. Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline. But I had never really listened to much contemporary country. However, during my time in Nashville, I had the chance to hear some contemporary country, particularly from my friends. I suppose there was a night when I was talking about a boyfriend who had done me wrong and someone said, "Oh, you must hear this song by Miranda Lambert." And you know what, I actually liked it. Shhhh.

Yesterday, I heard that Miranda Lambert had a new album out. Michelle mentioned she was purchasing it. And without irony or stating that it was a guilty pleasure, I asked her to burn me a copy. Because in many ways, Miranda Lambert will remind me of certain spaces during my time in Nashville. It will always remind me of some of my closest girlfriends here. It will always remind me of that jukebox and the stale smells inside the Cowboy Kewl. And quite frankly, it will always make me want to kick ass.

 



No comments: