29 December 2017


For several days, I've been trying to write the year-in-review blog. For some reason, the words ain't flowing. I suspect this has to do with the fact that I expunged much of my thoughts about 2017 in the annual mix. I suspect this is also because of how important music has been to my life this year. The happenings of my year were so intricately woven into the music that carried me across the country, up those stairs everyday in Germantown, and continue to follow me with each step and each stride when I'm out running.

However, at the end of the year, I think it's always important to take a moment to share my gratitude. My gratitude for all of the people, places, and things that meant so much to me this year. It is my way of saying thank you. With only a few days left of this year, I raise my glass to all of you.


Here's my song to all you amazing people and places and faces and times and things...because I do love y'all so very much.

Thank you to....

1. The students and faculty of Northern Arizona University (particularly, Sian, Skye, Rebecca, Charlie, Breanna, Sultan, Kayle Mae, Arifin, Matt, Sam and Olivia, Jessica, Kolbi, Marisa, Doug, Sarah, Debbie, Kooros, Warren, Rich, and Yvonne).

2. All those baseball games.

3. To the people who protested when I couldn't and the people who protested with me.

4. All the folks who helped advise me about job decisions (particularly, Carly, Sheila, and Liz).

5. All those happy hours with Yvonne.

6. The crew at Picazzo's.

7. The moving crew (Brandon, Seattle, Charlie, Marisa, and Andrea). 

8. My family and their welcoming of me back to the South

9. My days in Charleston with Michelle. 

10. Mr. Redd always giving me the good advice, particularly when he simply said to me: "If he doesn't want to be with you, girl, you gotta move on). 

11. My first #drunkblueapron experience with Robbie on my first night back in Germantown.

12. Attending my first Nashville PRIDE with Robbie and Russell.

13. Trivia nights at the Pub, Sam and the whole Germantown Pub crew. 

14. Celebrating the 4th with Red and Anthony. 

14. The folks at the 8th Avenue North Market.

15. Billy Joe Bowman and the Johnson City Cardinals. 

16. My backyard and Harriet. 

17. My text and email updates with my old therapist from Flagstaff. 

18. Those afternoons behind O'Reilly's. 

19. My new colleagues. 

20. My Johnson City Happy Hour friends.

21. My visit to Nashville with Ashley. 

22. Michelle and Andrea's visit to Johnson City. 

23. ALL those phone catch-up sessions with amazing and brilliant women.

24. All the cute and distracting men in my life. 

25. Running and the Tweetsie Trail. 

26. Last, but not least, Drizzy.

And it'll sound weird, but I think I'm mostly feeling thankful for MYSELF this year.  

I chose the picture above, because it really represented a huge turning point in my life.  I had just moved back to TN. I was living in Germantown for the summer. And honestly, I was all fucked up. I was having the time of my life by reconnecting with my old friends and my neighborhood, but at the same time, I felt like a raw nerve exposed. So much of my time was spent trying to find a way to see my ex. I was certain that if we just spent time together, we'd be able to figure out a way to be together. And honestly, this is why I started running those stairs everyday, because it allowed me to see him at least twice a day. But then, this magical thing happened, I started to feel stronger when out running. I'd look out over my old neighborhood and belt out the lyrics to Drake or Swift or Kanye or Florence. And it was there in those moments, I started to find my joy again.

As we head into the new year, I don't have specific resolutions, but rather, just the hope that I'll keep on finding the joy and gratitude in the everyday. I'll laugh my face off while texting with my friends and family that are spread all over this country. I'll take the time to have catch-up sessions with my the lovely women in my life. I'll dance my butt off in the living room while cooking my #drunkblueapron. I'll giggle while Drizzy gallops across the floor, every single morning. I'll keep running and sharing that with y'all.  I'll keep the silly in my everyday. I just want all the laughter and fun and joy. 

"I might be too strung out on compliments,
Overdosed on confidence.
Started not to give a fuck and stopped fearin' the consequence. 
Drinkin' every night because we drink to my accomplishments. 
Faded way too long, I'm floatin' in and out of consciousness.
And they sayin' I'm back, I'd agree with that. 
I just take my time with all this shit, I still believe in that. 
I had someone tell me I fell off, oooh, I needed that. 
And they want to see me pick back up, well, where'd I leave it at?" -Drake in Headlines

 

No comments: